My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

The fevered minds behind Arcana Soaps have been selling lavish distillations and ablutions since 2003. Our focus is on unparalleled skincare, exotic ingredients and delectable hand-blended scents.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Darlings,

I have sad news to share. Last Friday, my mother made a sudden departure from this world. Please light a candle or say a prayer for her soul's safe passage into the next world.

My mom was full of life. She was strong, quick-witted, open-hearted, opinionated and eccentric. She adored books, music, art, her family, and her beloved granddaughter. As a teacher and a librarian, she believed in education and was ardently opposed to censorship. She believed in the power of strong women to overcome anything. She had a soft spot for stray people and continually impressed upon us that all are equally deserving of love. She carried books, conversation, friendship and laughter to everyone she met-- so many people are readers today because of her. As one of her smaller legacies, her influence is woven through Arcana Soaps, from descriptions she helped to write to the gorgeous perfumes she wore throughout my childhood to her love of history, literature and fantasy which she passed down to me.

Thanks, Mom, for all of the good advice and all of the forgiveness you gave me. I hope that right now you are singing as much as you want to, dancing in 3 inch heels with a roster of tall, clever men, joking, swimming, reading, reciting poetry, playing the piano, and telling the best stories anybody's ever heard.

Love,
Julia

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.

May your mother have a good journey. Blessings.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I will be thinking of you and your family.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your loss. my thoughts and prayers are with you.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Arcana Soaps said...

Thanks sweeties. I so appreciate your support.

I didn't really think my parents were ever going to die. Of course, I knew they would, but... not really. Stupid mortality.

xo,
Julia

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs*

I am so sorry to hear this. It's so sad to hear of this but she's going to a better place now, and I'm thinking of you and your family. I'll send some virtual hugs your way.

Izzy

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences, Julia.

Gale

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia, I am so sorry for your loss.
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rebecca

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sorry to read of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Julia.

fair journey to you mother and I hope you feel better as well.

L

9:14 PM  
Blogger Finny321 said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. May your mother have a safe and gentle passage to the next world.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family, Julia. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Please take care,

Gemma.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Arcana Soaps said...

Thanks again to all of you for your kindness. My mom would have appreciated it, too.

Love,
Julia

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home